DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE CATS TRAIL? Do you hike it often? Then please consider “adopting” the trail and help the CATS staff keep your favorite trail in top-notch condition? Adopting a CATS trail is easy!
WHAT IS INVOLVED:
If you already walk the trails, you are already doing half the job! Being a trail adopter means walking the trail once or twice a month and doing basic maintenance.
WHAT KIND OF MAINTENANCE
Routine maintenance would include (as needed):
- Cutting branches and saplings growing into the trail.
- Taking cut branches, fallen branches and logs off the trail.
- Cutting or removing sapling stumps that could trip hikers.
- Cutting grass and plants growing on the trail in fields and woods.
- Monitoring drainage and fixing small problems or reporting to the CATS office larger needs such as the need for water bars, bridges, ditches, etc.
- Posting and maintaining trail markers.
- Removing litter from the trail.
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I MIGHT HAVE TO DO?
Just keep in touch with us! We’d ask that you:·
- Complete an easy on-line form once a month to keep us aware of any problems or issues on your trail.
- Become a “trail ambassador” by talking to hikers you meet out on the trail. Tell them about CATS and ask if they would like to be added to our mailing list.
If you have your own tools, that’s great! However, CATS is happy to provide you with loppers, saws, even lawn mowers when you need them. Just give us a call and we will arrange to get you what you need.
Call the CATS office at 518-962-2287 to sign up, volunteer and become a trail adopter.
Note: please download the pdf to your desktop and then use the send button at the bottom to email it to us.