There are many ways you can volunteer for Champlain Area Trails: you can help build and maintain trails, join as a volunteer trail steward, assist with office work, lead hikes, teach about nature, reach out to others, and follow your imagination in finding ways to make trails, connect people with nature, and promote economic vitality.
Please consider how you want to get involved; how much time you have; what you want to do; specific skills you have and/or want to know. And mostly, we want you to enjoy your volunteer experience.
Here are some of the volunteer opportunities:
- Volunteer Trail Steward
- Retirees Trail Crew
- Hike Leader
- Trail Project Leader
- Trail Project Volunteer
- Volunteer coordinator
- Office volunteer
- Events Committee
- Town Board liaison
Click HERE to add your name to our email list to learn about our trail projects.
Volunteer Trail Steward:
WHAT IS INVOLVED:
If you already walk the trails, you are already doing half the job! Being a volunteer trail steward means walking the trails once or twice a month and doing basic maintenance.
WHAT KIND OF MAINTENANCE?
Routine maintenance would include (as needed):
- Cutting branches and saplings growing into the trail.
- Taking cut branches, fallen branches and logs off the trail.
- Cutting or removing sapling stumps that could trip hikers.
- Cutting grass and plants growing on the trail in fields and woods.
- Monitoring drainage and fixing small problems or reporting to the CATS office larger needs such as the need for water bars, bridges, ditches, etc.
- Posting and maintaining trail markers.
- Removing litter from the trail.
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I MIGHT HAVE TO DO?
Just keep in touch with us! We’d ask that you:·
- Complete an easy on-line form once a month to keep us aware of any problems or issues on your trail.
- Talk to hikers you meet out on the trail. Tell them about CATS and ask if they would like to be added to our mailing list!
If you have your own tools, that’s great! However, CATS is happy to provide you with loppers, saws, even lawn mowers when you need them. Just give us a call and we will arrange to get you what you need.
Call the CATS office at 518-962-2287 to sign up, volunteer and become a volunteer trail steward!